Tuesday 1 March 2011

Fractal Wallpaper- experiment


Fractal patterns are self-similar, this means that if you zoom into a small section of the pattern, it will look similar (if not the same) as its whole. Self-similar patterns occur frequently in nature, especially in horticulture which is my main influense when designing new patterns and wall coverings.

After designing my initial fractal wallpaper, i was interested in looking further at the self-similarity theory. I want to find a way of repeating my pattern in the same way we see fractals behaving in nature. To do this, I think mirrors palced at right angles to the wallpaper will bounce the pattern in a mirror image; the more mirrors I use, the further the pattern spreads. I think using mirrors for this design is the best choice as the pattern itself is quite geometric, so the angles of the mirrors against the wall will compliment this. Also, as my work is based around interior design, the mirrors are inkeeping with the environment in which I see this particular work.

No comments: