Tuesday 1 March 2011

Capillary Action- Further tests



  • Machine embroidered pattern in white thread on white fabric
  • Hand sewn, hem-stitched pattern in white thread on white fabric
  • Time test- dye soaked from top and bottom of white fabric
Although the embroidered tests appeared to work initially, after a period of time the thread began to reject the ink (due to its synthetic coat) and so the pattern revealed was the opposite to what I was expecting. This still looked effective but I was disheartened by the time and effort it took to create such a small test.
As well as this, the overall process is very tedious and I am rapidly losing interest in this particular element of my work. I feel it has become too focussed on the process and has lost sight of the initial idea. My work is based around interior design, decoration and surface pattern. This project was ideally meant to finalise in a wall hanging which 'grew' over time, however after testing the design ideas I realised how time consuming and expensive it would be to reproduce on a large scale; creating a damp environment and watering system suitable for maintaining the 'growth' of the pattern.
With this in mind I have made the decision to put this project to one side and focus more on developing fractal wallpaper patterns to print.

No comments: