Tuesday 1 March 2011

Capillary Action


This is my first capillary action wall hanging test which incorporates the self-similar fractal pattern theory. The idea is to use similar methods as plants and flowers, to make a pattern"grow" on the fabric. Here, the basic branch pattern has been embroidered onto the fabric, however the dye pockets have been stitched into the reverse. The hanging is then rested in water so that it can be absorbed, working up the fabric. When the water hits the dye packets on the reverse the colour begins to dilute and spread like blossoming flowers.
Whilst doing this test there were certain things I noticed which affected the way in which the dye spread across the fabric. For example, the dye (quite obviously) follows the water flow, but it is also affected by the stitch on the fabric. In my next experiments I will see if I can manipulate these obstacles to improve the pattern.

No comments: